[pgsql-ayuda] Perl Databases: The Starting Point for Newbies. (fwd)

Ing. Roberto Andrade randrade@campus.iztacala.unam.mx
Tue, 23 Mar 1999 16:38:30 -0600 (CST)

Hola:

El mensaje que aparece bajo contiene algunas ligas interesantes sobre
manejo de bases de datos.

Saludos,

                       Roberto Andrade Fonseca
                Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México

                     Teléfonos: 623-1154, 623-1119
               e-mail: randrade@campus.iztacala.unam.mx

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 10:43:22 -0600
From: Dickerson, Monty W. <Monty.Dickerson@econophone.com>
To: "Dbi-Users List (E-mail)" <dbi-users@fugue.com>
Subject: Perl Databases: The Starting Point for Newbies.

    *** From dbi-users -- To unsubscribe, see the end of this message. ***

Tim, until you all publish THE book in August (hopefully!?!), I'm resorting
to a more mature, documented (tons more sample code too) Win32::ODBC (yeah,
yuck I know).  I'd recommend anyone who's have trouble starting with DBI to
try an ODBC first for learning (iODBC etc for Un*x)!

Here's 2 good links for SQL beginners:

* http://www.netaxs.com/~joc/perl/article/SQL.html
Demystifying SQL by Joseph L. Casadonte Jr.  Very short overview of SQL to
get over the paranoia and get behind the curtain of the cult :) of database
programming

* http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Node/9672/sqltut.html
* http://www.highcroft.com/highcroft/sql_intro.pdf (Adobe PDF Version)
Introduction to Structured Query Language, Version 4.3, by James Hoffman;
the first comprehensive SQL tutorial available on the Internet.  "ANSI", or
standard SQL, with a "Nonstandard SQL" section for SQL features of specific
database management systems.

Also:
* http://www.keller.com/dbweb
From: Gary Grubb ggrubb@sr.hp.com on March 15, 1999 10:10 AM.  "Another
great link. This site offers the course notes and setup instructions to the
PerlDBI class they offer. I took the one day class and used these notes to
setup my database interface."

> As a courtesy to people who wanted the same answers as me, and to
contribute
> something back to the community, I offer this starting point for newbies
> Perl database programming.
>
> WEB SITES:
>
> * http://outside.organic.com/mail-archives/dbi-users/
> Archives of the DBI-Users mailing list.
>
> * http://eskimo.tamu.edu/~jbaker/dbi-examples.html
> The purpose of this document is to provide some examples for using the
Perl